Date and place of birth:
- December 9, 1963, Porto Alegre, RS.
- Ph.D. in Economics, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, USA, August, 1991.
- Bachelor in Economics, University of Brasília, December, 1984.
- Governor of the Central Bank of Brazil, since January 2011.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the BIS (Bank for International Settlements), since December 2013.
- Chairman of the SCBR (Standing Committee on Budget and Resources) of the FSB (Financial Stability Board), since February 2016.
- Deputy Governor for Financial System Regulation and Organization, Central Bank of Brazil, from April, 2006 to December, 2010.
- Deputy Governor for International Affairs, Central Bank of Brazil, from April to June, 2006.
- Deputy Governor for Economic Research, Central Bank of Brazil, from June, 2005 to April, 2006.
- Senior Advisor to the Executive Director and Member of the Executive Board of Directors, Brazilian Representative Office, International Monetary Fund (IMF), Washington, D.C., USA, from July, 2001 to May, 2005:
- Preparation, analysis and presentation of the Brazilian position in a number of the IMF policy issues, including: funding modes, bilateral and multilateral monitoring, program conditionality;
- Participation in negotiation of Brazilian programs with the IMF in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004, including participation in each quarterly review within this period (about 15 revisions).
- Head of the Research Department, Central Bank of Brazil, Brasília, Federal District, Brazil, from March, 1999 to June, 2001:
- Organization and implementation of the Research Department, Central Bank of Brazil;
- Development of three areas of action: inflation targets, banking sector microeconomics and financial system regulation, with emphasis on market risk;
- Person in charge, as a member of Copom, for preparation and presentation of economic scenarios, inflation forecasts and economic simulations;
- Senior Advisor to the Board, Central Bank of Brazil, Brasília, Federal District, Brazil, from May, 1998 to March, 1999:
- Liaison person between the Office of the Deputy Governor for Supervision and the corresponding areas at the World Bank (IBRD) and Bank of International Settlements (BIS).
- Special advisor to the Foreign Trade Chamber, Presidential Staff Office, Presidency of the Republic, Brasília, Federal District, Brazil, from February, 1995 to May, 1998:
- Actions in different areas related to foreign trade policy and international trade negotiations.
- General Coordinator of Foreign Affairs, Secretariat of Economic Policy, Ministry of Finance, Brasília, Federal District, Brazil, from December 1992 to January, 1995:
- Head of the technical group in charge of negotiating the Mercosul Common External Tariff (TEC).
- Visiting Professor, Department of Economics, University of Brasília, Brasília, Federal District, Brazil. From March, 1993 to December, 1994:
- Undergraduate courses lectured: International Economics; Project Evaluation; Intermediate and Advanced Econometrics; and Introduction to Economics;
- Graduate courses lectured: Project Evaluation; Econometrics and Time Series.
- Coordinator of International Analysis, Department of International Affairs, Secretariat of Planning, Ministry of Economics, Finance and Planning, Brasília, Federal District, Brazil, from September, 1991 to December, 1992:
- In charge of operating the Global Econometric Model (GEM) developed by the London Business School;
- Editor of Boletim de Economia Internacional, the International Economics Bulletin, published quarterly by the Ministry.